You've got feedback? We're all ears!

Hello!

We know you love OpenCelliD.org and we know a lot has changed since April - some changes you liked, others you didn’t.

What do you like about OpenCelliD?
What are you having trouble with?
How can we improve our datasets?

We now have a dedicated tech team - and we have me :slight_smile: - to hear your thoughts and make sure your opinions make it to the roadmap.

Please share your thoughts below!

Hi all
My name is Kolin . I have had the cell ID app
provide locations on the street and at different house locations . Do that means there is a mobile unit or what? I use the Cid number for search location.

Hey Kolin,

Do you mean the ‘InViu OpenCelliD’ app? The app collects the GPS coordinates of GSM cell towers around you and sends it to OpenCelliD as a contribution. The process anonymously contributes data to the OpenCelliD community project.

If you’re trying to search for the location of a scanned cell tower, you can get it on your user dashboard. The input you require is ‘MCC-MNC-LAC-CID’ of the cell tower.

Hi Everyone,

I was going through the documentation (cell_towers.csv) and was confused about the lat/lon value provided. What does these value points to? Is it the individual devices (personal mobiles?) or the location of cell towers?
I am working in collaboration with my university with a company, and want to find out the gps location of towers/base stations in a particular area.

Thanks,
Nafi.

Hey Nafi,

The coordinates mentioned in the csv file (at www.opencellid.org/downloads) represents approximate location of the cell tower. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe you are not getting replies is because your login system does not work so well. I have auto login and it didn’t work for either. I had to go through the motions of creating a new account then it logged me in.

What I wanted to talk about is a list of items and what they mean. Things like colors red and green and what the numbers and letters mean. Why are some shapes fuzzy and some smooth edges. I found some definitions but not enough text to relate it to something on the map. Maybe put words like “See Keys” on the map and let that take you to the definitions. Do all symbols represent a cell tower?
Thanks
Jerry

The map on the home page does not zoom when one uses the mouse wheel.
Not even in Fullscreen.

The Cell Tower search feature on the map does not appear to be working:
https://opencellid.org/#zoom=14&lat=37.77888&lon=-122.41941

I’ve tried in latest FF Developer and Chromium browsers, on Mac.

The search button doesn’t appear to fire off any requests.

Anyone else seeing the same issue?

Thank you for aggregating this data and making it public!

I just registered because I am trying to figure out what cell towers my hotspot + high gain antennas are picking up. Unfortunately, my hotspot doesn’t expose LAC so I can’t do a fully qualified search.

I registered and attempted to download the dataset for my MCC but the download failed midway through. I attempted to restart it but received a rate limit error message “To ensure fair usage for all users, we only allow 2 downloads per file, per day.” Currently I have 0 completed downloads.

It seems odd to rate limit this low, especially for folks that might have unreliable connections given the topic of the data.

Suggestion: if “only 2 downloads” is deemed as reasonable, please allow the same file to be resumed without counting towards the download rate limit.

Hi, I just want to know the current tower connected with my mobile phone, not all the local towers in and around, on the top of the home screen.
Is there anyway that i could accomplish this
Please also say, what those download means. Are they data bases of the towers that one would need to add to your app.
But Nokia mobile of the older model has this facililty to auto switch to the connected towers and the place on the home screen.
Does the showing of mobile towers are the policies of the service provider .