We receive dozens of queries every week asking us about various aspects of the relationship between unwiredlabs.com and opencellid.org. I’ll share a couple of thoughts on some of the frequently asked questions - I’ll keep adding to the list. You can put down your queries in the comments.
How is OpenCelliD.org benefiting out of it?
- We plan to transform OpenCellID into an open-source database hub for Cell, WiFi, LPWAN and more. We already have the resources in place to offer technological expertise and community support.
What have we done so far?
- We’ve revamped and modernized the entire infrastructure
- We’ve added strict data verification process in place
- We’ve added a new user dashboard
- We’ve added reporting features
- We’ve added Maps/ Geocoding (in a minor way) - We’ll launch it in a major way soon
- We’ve added active support policies in place - and are actively responding to all support queries within 12 hours
Will I be able to download the cells csv data?
- Yes. Head over to www.opencellid.org/downloads
What will happen to my contributions?
- They are yours, you will have the ability to contribute, download the database and request removal of your data - just like it was before.
How is Unwired labs benefiting out of it?
- Geolocation also happens to be our core product at Unwired. It is heavily powered by crowd-sourced data. By maintaining and growing OCID, we hope to provide better location for everyone.
- Our bread and butter, as always, will be from Enterprises paying for proprietary data, higher limits/ second, on-premise hosting and priority support.
- The data you contribute to OpenCellID is yours, the data contributed by the community will be available to download.
What are the differences between Unwired and OpenCelliD datasets
- Unwired Labs’ datasets include proprietary data.
Are you selling my data for marketing purposes?
What will happen to my old OpenCelliD token?
- Your token is yours and will not change, we’ve integrated it into our systems. You can check out your dashboard here
How can I help?
- If you are a developer, you can help the community by building simple apps that will expand OpenCellID datasets
- If you’re a user, you can install our android app, contribute and compete
- If you can’t contribute data, help us improve; give us feedback, spread the word and help others benefit out of this